Debian Wheezy rc1, not executing. newsflash_plus_3.5.0b0

Bugs..those nasty little critters that crawl and hide in your code at night..

Debian Wheezy rc1, not executing. newsflash_plus_3.5.0b0

Postby Drago » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Installation instructions for Linux users:
Extract the package, for example with "tar -zxvvf newsflash_plus_3.2.0.tar.gz"
and run the dist_final/newsflash.sh shell script.

Well...

$:~/newsflash_plus$ ./newsflash
bash: ./newsflash: No such file or directory
$:~/newsflash_plus$ ./newsflash.sh
./newsflash.sh: line 13: /home/busty/newsflash_plus/newsflash: No such file or directory
$:~/newsflash_plus$ ldd ./newsflash
not a dynamic executable

Is the source on the site? Also, I cannot find working links to other betas to try. Looking at the types of posts here in the BBS, are you planning to drop support for Linux? If so, will you be releasing the source for this?
Drago

Re: Debian Wheezy rc1, not executing. newsflash_plus_3.5.0b0

Postby ensisoft » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:58 am

It seems to me that you're on a x86-64 (i.e. 64bit) system. You'll need to install 32bit support libs for Debian.

Old links to old executables do not work anymore since the server has changed.

No I'm no planning to drop support for Linux since that's the OS of my personal choice. Unfortunately the fragmentation of the Linux desktop through to multitude of different distros makes it rather hard to cater for the Linux users in a reliable way using a binary only distribution. And now, for the time being at least I have no plans to open the source code.

Greets,
- ensi
ensisoft
Site Admin

Postby Drago » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:49 pm

Doh! You're probably right. I just installed Debian on second hand machine and was setting it up for "odds and ends". I've been using 64bit distros so long, that I've forgotten about 32bit conditions on 64 (also, I somehow missed this was 32bit).

Hopefully you will eventually release amd64 binaries, at least for Debian. I have had much better luck getting a Debian package running on Mint or Ubuntu than vice versa. I've had nightmares getting a couple made for Ubuntu.deb's working with Debian.

Anyways, what you have here is desperately needed for a lot of Linux users. Windows has all sorts of usenet programs, too many too count. But for people on Linux, Pan is getting a little monolithic. I'm not knocking Pan, for just about every option Pan has, it does it wonderfully. However, some of us just need more options.

***EDIT: Well, I might need some help here. Which 32bit packages do I need? The system already had ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk.
Drago

Postby ensisoft » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:31 am

ia32-libs and libicu48 should cut it. gtk shouldn't be needed, since this is a Qt app (and comes bundled with it)

The problem with linux is exactly with the packing. There are just too damn many distros with their own packaging model. Thats why I only have a .tar.gz that appears to work equally for no one. And let's face it, Linux just isn't made for this kind of binary-only software model. Hower I do realize the situation on Linux and I'm considering my options (i.e. if I released the source would this end up in the distros' repos etc. but right now that is not going to happen)

Incidentally Pan is the application that initially prompted me to start working on Newsflash 8 years ago since Pan had such abysmal problems such as consuming all the available RAM and then getting killed by the oom-killer. I haven't tried it since then though so I don't know if it has improved :)
ensisoft
Site Admin

Postby Drago » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Well, I'll keep checking back off and on to see if you have furthered package management. Again, in all seriousness, you are "Storm'n the castle" with this. Keep it up!

Being I can't run your program, I do have 1. question...

1. I assume you have or will make .nzbs obsolete with your program. If that is the case, when you set up a "watcher" in your program does it download the data immediately? I'm sure you know that today every minute that passes can seemingly can be a worry, so having half a file is better than none.

I asked the above question because I have never been a fan of .nzb. With good header management and a big enough hard drive, they are just not needed. That being said, it has been an uphill battle not using .nzbs. In the beginning when no programs offered "watcher" lists, I always had to run a not so small Perl script. It would first decompress the headers.rar, launch Newsbin to update headers, kill Newsbin to search the header.db, write out a .que file, then relaunch Newsbin. NOT using .nzb is a dependency I don't want to loose!

BTW, I myself just started using Usenet on Linux again after about 6 years, but Pan can now load .nzb!!! Who knew!! It is even now called "Pan2"! However, it is still missing documentation, heavily based around text, and of course missing many options in regards to binaries (at least I think, again no docs).
Drago

Postby ensisoft » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:09 am

I'm not really sure that I understand your question correctly. If you're asking me if I have plans to obsolete NZBs support in my application, the answer is no. Obviously. These are the torrents of the Usenet world and without them nobody will take your Usenet application seriously these days. That being said I also have a fairly nifty header support in place and will continue to support that and the NZB based operation for the foreseeable future.

As for the watcher mechanism, this is very simple directory based scan that loads NZB files it finds during the scan. Complete files (its all just XML) that parse correctly are then loaded up in the engine for downloading.

- ensi
ensisoft
Site Admin

Postby Drago » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:27 am

Sorry, I meant download headers for given groups every X amount of minutes, then search new headers for a given string. If the regex matches, download without waiting for file completion. After X amount of time, decode the file (hopefully complete). This is a tool I keep meaning to write in C (no more Perl).
Drago

Postby ensisoft » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:50 am

It sounds like what you want is an indexer that trawls the groups. Have you looked at newznab?
ensisoft
Site Admin

Postby Drago » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:11 pm

Yes I have, the dependencies are HIGH...real HIGH! No matter, it gives me something to learn in C. Again, keep up the good work!
Drago

Return to Bugs